Student Visa

International students require a student visa in order to study in Australia. The process of applying for a student visa depends on which country you apply from and the type of study you are applying for. Generally speaking, the student (temporary) visa comprises the following 8 subclasses:

  • Independent ELICOS Subclass 570: This is English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students as a stand alone course. Students undertaking ELICOS as a pre requisite to another course must apply for a visa under the subclass appropriate to the main course
  • Schools Subclass 571: This applies to primary, junior secondary or senior secondary school courses, and approved secondary school exchange programs
  • Vocational Education and Training Subclass 572: This applies to Certificates I, II, III or IV, Diploma, Advanced Diploma, Vocational Graduate Certificate or Vocational Graduate Diploma courses
  • Higher Education Subclass 573: This applies to a Bachelor Degree, Associate Degree, Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma, higher education Diploma, higher education advanced Diploma or Masters by coursework
  • Postgraduate research Subclass 574: This applies to Masters by research or a Doctoral degree
  • Non award Subclass 575: This applies to non award foundation studies, or other full time courses or components of courses not leading to an Australian award
  • AusAID and Defence Subclass 576: This applies to students sponsored by AusAID or the Australian Department of Defence undertaking full time courses of any type

A further subclass of student visa, the Student Guardian Subclass 580 visa, provides for certain persons to reside with a student in Australia, where that student require a guardian.